Fraunces Tavern

New York City’s Fraunces Tavern played a prominent role in shaping the future landscape of the United States. First named the Queen’s Head in 1762 by Samuel Fraunces, who purchased the former mansion from New York City Mayor Stephanus van Cortlandt’s son-in-law, the Georgian-style building was an early meeting place for the Sons of Liberty — a secret society that fought to protect the rights of colonists. By the time the American Revolution was in full force, Gen. George Washington had taken residency in the building, making it his formal headquarters and eventually using the facility to negotiate peace with the British as well as form the early constructs of the United States’ government. Today, Fraunces Tavern operates as a whiskey bar and restaurant, serving traditional American fare from Manhattan’s South Street Seaport.

54 Pearl St, New York, NY 10004, United States
Click Here to View Full Map
Opening times
Tue: 11:00 am - 3:30 am
See More